First off, sorry for the lack of posting this weekend, if you followed my twitter, you would know that I was very busy all weekend. Anyways, back to baseball, Daniel Murphy walked today, I know amazing right? Actually it was weird because he walked on ball 3. After a pick off was thrown away, Murphy fouled off one 2-2 pitch and then took ball 3 and promptly flipped his bat into the dugout and walked to first base. He thought it was ball 4 and apparently so did the Astros’ Manager and all the umpires. It was the first time I’d seen it happen, but with a little research I learned it did happen more than once. Former Red Sox player Coco Crisp walked on ball 3 against the Orioles. This walk was more significant however because on the very next pitch Justin Turner blasted a 3-run homer into left to add to the lead. This might have been the strangest play this year.
- R.A. Dickey pitched 6 ok innings tonight and let up 7 hits, 5 runs, 1 walk, and 1 strikeout.
- Jose Reyes went 3 for 3 with 3 walks, a double, and an RBI.
- Gee and Izzy got through the 7th and 8th While K-Rod got out of a 1st and 3rd 0 out jam unharmed in the 9th.
- Buchholz gave up the go ahead homer in the 10th to Aubrey Huff.
- Carlos Beltran went 2 for 4 with a 3 run homer.
- Ike Davis went 1 for 4 with a 2 run homer.
- Wright and Pridie had a hit each while Thole got 3 hits.
This was a game that the Mets should have won. They had bases loaded and 1 out in the bottom of the 9th and grounded into a double play. Clearly a shame.
Jose Reyes was spectacular getting on base 6 straight times today. If he can play like that, Sandy will surely try and resign him.
Ike Davis and Carlos Beltran both hit rockets, Carlos’ was a liner, and Ike’s was normal for him…a bomb.
R.A. Dickey looked great through 3, but those 4th and 5th innings where he gave up 6 runs they just killed him. The Giants just hit everything up the middle.
Even with the homer, the bullpen still pitched very well.
Grade for the Game: B-