3 Standout Performances:
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis went 1 for 3 with his first homer of his career.
- Daniel Murphy went 2 for 5 with a walk off RBI.
- Mike Pelfrey went 5 2/3 innings let up 10 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, and 8 strikeouts.
Mike Pelfrey looked way better that he did all of last year. His pitches had so much movement tonight and he had incredible velocity. There was one sinker he threw that was so good it was simply unfair. I am very pleased with this start from Pelfrey.
Daniel Murphy has so many haters but he is such a good player. He hits line drives and plays an adequate 2nd base.
Ruben Tejada has been a better leadoff hitter this year than Jose Reyes because of his at-bats. He has an amazing eye for the strike zone and has long turns at the plate.
I’m starting to worry about Ike Davis. Hopefully an off day tomorrow will do wonders.
The bullpen has been untouchable this year after an awful spring. Hopefully this can keep up.
Congrats to Kirk on the first career homer. I really like the player that he has a chance to become.
4-0 WOW. Lets Go Mets!!
Grade for the Game: B
- Ruben Tejada ended the game with a walkoff 2 run double to right field of John Axford.
- David Wright hit his 27th homer of the year, a 2 run shot.
- Carlos Beltran left the game with a knee injury.
- Pelfrey was great tonight going 7 1/3 inning 5 hits, 3 runs, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts.
- Feliciano and Dessens finished the game.
Great moment for the kid, he is really starting to hit down the stretch.
It seems like Pelfrey is into the 7th inning or so in almost every start lately and that is a good sign.
David Wright only needs 2 more RBIs to get to 100 on the year.
Grade for the Game: A
- Luis Castillo hit the pinch hit walk off single for the Mets tonight. It was not pretty, but it worked.
- R.A. Dickey pitched 7 good innings, struck out 8, and walked none. However, he gave up a go ahead 3-run-homer to Gaby Sanchez.
- Jeff Francoeur hit 2 sacrifice flys and Carlos Beltran hit 2 RBI singles including the game tying one.
- Angel Pagan went 4 for 5 with a hustle double, and 3 singles.
- David Wright had 2 hits tonight including a triple.
- Bobby Parnell and Hisarnori Takahashi each pitched scoreless innings of relief tonight.
Castillo with the walk-off magic…who would have thought?
Another great start from R.A. Dickey..this guy is no joke.
It looks like the offense may start to break out a little bit? I hope so because the Mets can still make a run.
Grade for the Game: B+
- Mike Pelfrey bounced back tonight going 5 strong innings and allowing 2 runs. He looked very sharp tonight.
- Jose Reyes went 2-for-4 with an RBI single.
- Rod Barajas had a big RBI single in the 6th, but got hurt during the play.
- David Wright went 1-for-6 with 2 strikeouts.
- Jason Bay went 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- Raul Valdes and Bobby Parnell each pitched 2 scoreless innings of relief.
- Oliver Perez gave up the game-winning home run to James Loney to end the game.
Another walk off loss… unbelieveable.
The Mets had hits after the 6th inning tonight and left 11 men on base, deja vu…
On a brighter note, Mike Pelfrey looked really good along with Jason Bay. Pelfrey was down and had movement and Bay looked comfortable at the plate.
I thought we would have a breakout offensive game tonight after last night, but I guess not.
I can’t decide at this point: Do the Mets need a bat or an arm. They certainly need something.
Grade for the Game: C
The Mets did not score until the bottom of the 7th tonight when Jose Reyes hit a home run which was reviewed by replay. The only other run was driven in by Ike Davis in the bottom of the 11th with a walk off home run.
Mike Pelfrey tonight was simply perfect tonight. He went 9 innings, gave up 1 run, and struck out 4. K-rod pitched a perfect top of the 10th and Feliciano and Dessens combined for a scoreless top of the 11th.
Grade for the Game: A-
Mike Pelfrey was great and could have pitched a 10th inning as he was only at 103 pitches after 9. Also, the home run that Ike Davis is went in previously uncharted territory in Citi Field. It went to the upper deck in right field, over the Mo Zone. I was impressed tonight as they came back to win it again.
David Wright and Ike Davis each had bad days going 0 for 3, each however drew a couple of walks. Jason Bay went 1 for 4 with 2 RBIs. However, the best offense we had today came from Henry Blanco. That is not a typo, Henry Blanco went 3 for 5 with the game winning, walk off home run to end the game in the 11th inning.
Johan Santana had a bounce back type of night going 7 2/3 giving up 4 runs and struck out 6. He would have only given up a run however, Nieve and Feliciano could not get an out. Mejia, K-Rod, and Takahashi all had scoreless innings to keep the Mets in the game.
Grade for the Game: A-
Back to back walk off home runs by two back up catchers..who would have guessed? The Mets won their 9th straight home game and look great looking for the sweep of the Giants. The Giants pitching staff will be a challenge but, you never know.