Tonight, Matt Harvey proved to me that he is ready for the big leagues and it gets me excited beyond belief. His line tonight was, 6 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Over his past five or six starts he has shown growth, maturity, determination, and dominance posting an ERA under 3 and not losing a decision in any of those starts. Matt shows something that the Mets don’t have, a power arm as a starter who has the ability to strike out 10 nightly. Well Dickey is capable of those strikeout numbers, but he is in another world right now. All of the Mets starters throw in the low 90s and rely on breaking stuff. Harvey can blow a fastball by someone at 95 and get you out with a nasty slider. I give it one more good start by Harvey and/or a bad start by Hefner until he is up for the Mets.
- Mike Pelfrey went 7 strong innings and the only mistake was a home run by Mike Stanton.
- Justin Turner had 2 hits and an RBI double.
- Jon Niese hit a pinch hit triple in the 11th…haha.
- Bay, Beltran, Pridie, and Reyes all had hits today.
- Igarashi gave up an RBI hit to a pitcher and earned the loss.
- Byrdak, Iggy, K-Rod, and O’Connor had scoreless innings.
What a weird game with all the field troubles to a pitcher getting the game winning hit in the 11th. Also another pitcher hitting a pinch hit triple.
Mike Pelfrey was great against a team that normally hits him hard. He was attacking the zone and got quick outs.
Grade for the Game: B-
- Mike Pelfrey went 6 2/3 innings and let up 6 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk, and 2 strikeouts. He also hit an RBI double from the plate.
- Ike Davis had a hit which what a 2 run single in the 1st.
- Izzy, Byrdak, and K-Rod all pitched scoreless outings tonight.
- Jose Reyes hit a double while Paulino and Turner had base hits.
- Daniel Murphy had 2 hits tonight.
Mike Pelfrey had a great outing tonight as he controlled all of his pitches. I am still personally not a fan of Mike Pelfrey, but he pitched well tonight and got the win.The runs he gave up were all on solo homers.
Now here is the play that I had a problem with. The play that Ike got hurt. Ike and Wright collided on a ball that was popped in the air in front of the pitchers mound. Ike hurt his calf, however the collision was not the problem to me. Pelfrey was the problem. Pelfrey should have either fielded the ball OR helped Ike and Wright out and told them they were near eachother. What did he do? He stood there, and watched. Help out your team mates Pelf.
Tim Byrdak pitched great as he got Helton on a 3 pitch strikeout to end the 8th.
What a strange at bat right after the rain delay. The at-bat consisted of 2 pitchers, and 2 hitters. It was Pelfrey vs. Fowler before the rain delay, then after it was Izzy vs. Fowler. Fowler fouled a ball off his knee and came out of the game so it was Izzy vs. Spilborghs in one at bat. Weird Stuff.
The Mets are not 3-8 in one run games.
Grade for the Game: B+
Time to go overseas for some very strange pitching from a very intimidating looking pitcher from Japan. My question…are you allowed to do this?
Johan will not be starting Tuesday due to his strained pectoral muscle. Dillion Gee will start in his spot. Gee will make his first career start and hopefully do a good job. Johan could potentially start friday against the Phillies.