Last night OF Fernando Martinez and 2B Ruben Tejada were scratched from the Bisons lineup. It was suspected that they were either traded or they were coming to the Mets. Today they were informed that they will be joining the Mets tonight in Philly. To make roster space, we released Alex Cora and demoted Jesus Feliciano.
I was surprised that Cora was released. They wanted his option not to vest which I understand, but Alex was the closest thing we had to a leader. I would have rather seen Luis Castillo go.
- Jesus Feliciano hit a lead off triple in the 9th inning and scored the winning run.
- Carlos Beltran hit a walk off sac fly to end the game.
- David Wright hit a 2 run double to tie the game after the bullpen had blown the lead. Wright ended the day with 3 RBIs.
- Jose Reyes hit an RBI single.
- Takahashi was terrific tonight going 6 innings one 1 run ball. He struck out a career high 10 batters and seems to be on a roll.
- Bobby Parnell didn’t have it giving up 3 runs in 0 innings of work.
- Acosta retired all 4 batters he faced…again.
Hey we beat the terrible diamondbacks…for once.
Takahashi was great and had his stuff all night long. He showed we did not need a starter.
Jerry needs to stop riding the hot hand in the bullpen and get a good reliable 8th inning guy.
David Wright has turned a corner and is back to where he was before the 2006 home run derby.
Grade for the Game: A-
Instead of writing in paragraphs like I have been doing, I will now be listing them in order of importance. It is sort of like Sportscenter’s “top 10 plays” the first one is the best. Think of it as “MetsNewsNow’s top 3 plays” but in hitting and pitching.
- Josh Thole’s pinch hit RBI single which gave the Mets the lead. This was his 3rd straight game with a pinch hit and RBI.
- Jesus Feliciano replaced Jose Reyes nicely as a leadoff batter going 2 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored.
- David Wright went 2 for 5 while driving in 2 runs. He hit 2 doubles that were very close to home runs.
- K-Rod got a 4 out save tonight and as usual let the tying run get to third base. He also got out of a jam in the 8th while only throwing 1 pitch.
- Elmer Dessens got out of a jam in the 5th inning when Pelfrey lost it and retired the side with runners on base. He earned the win tonight.
- Ryota Igarashi looked like himself earlier in the year as he pitched 1 inning and struck out 3.
Grade for the Game: B+
Mike Pelfrey was bad today only going 4 2/3 innings letting up 12 hits and 4 runs. It was humid and all the Met pitchers were struggling this weekend. Bobby Parnell also pitch a good 1 2/3 innings and let up some stress on the bullpen. The offense was good today and we picked up one of the games in Puerto Rico. Take on the Nats in DC tomorrow.