The Mets had been playing so well. We were doing everything right. However, in the past two games, things have gone south. The offense has gone nowhere, the lineup is still working counts and producing runs. However, the pitching and defense had let us down. Coming into this series, we had the 2nd lowest ERA in baseball, I’m sure that title is gone. Our starters have had two rough outings in a row and our bullpen has had a lot of work, which also didn’t help much. Another problem is the defense. Not just errors, but bone-headed plays. For example, the bunt that Ike threw away yesterday, he should have gone to 3rd base. With Johan struggling that much, take the free out and move on. He needed every out that he could get. If we fix these things, we can get back on track very quickly.
3 Standout Performances:
- Jason Pridie went 2 for 5 with the go-ahead 2 run double that ultimately won the game for the Mets.
- Tim Byrdak struck out Jay Bruce for the last out of the game for his first save since 2007 and his 4th career save.
- Jon Niese let up 5ER in 5 innings and struck out 5. He won his 10th game of the year tonight.
Jon Niese basically had one bad inning tonight. He gave up a 4-run 5th that basically ruined his night. He still got to 10 wins this year which is huge seeing how he started this year.
Jason Pridie had a great game today. He basically won the game for the Mets with his bat filling in for Angel Pagan.
Daniel Murphy is a sensational hitter. If they can find a spot to put his glove in the outfield, he has all-star potential in my opinion.
This team has made the defending NL central champs look bad, especially on defense.
Grade for the Game: A-
3 Standout Performances:
- In possibly his last home game as a Met, Carlos Beltran went 0 for 3 with a strikeout.
- Lucas Duda had 2 hits and a run scored.
- Niese went 6 innings, let up 5 hits, 5 runs (3 earned), 1 walk, and 7 strikeouts.
Niese pitched so much better than his line showed. He let up 3 runs in the 5th inning due to stupid-minded defensive plays and errors. He has matured so much on the mound this year.
Jose Reyes tried to ignite this Mets offense by hitting a lead off triple and scored to put the Mets on the board. However, as soon as he scored, the offense just slowed back down.
Jake Westbrook had the Mets pounding the ball into the ground all day long. He was very economical with his pitches tonight.
Grade for the Game: C-
By the Numbers:
- Mike Pelfrey went 7 innings, let up 4 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks, and 6 strikeouts.
- Jose Reyes was hitless with a sac fly.
- Daniel Murphy had 2 hits and is now hitting .305 on the year.
- Tejada and Duda had a hit each.
- Byrdak walked in the 3rd run with the bases loaded.
Mike Pelfrey was so good tonight, he retired 21 of his final 22 batters after giving up 3 hits to the first 3 batters of the game. He really settled down only giving up 1 homer to Brandon Wood.
Jose Reyes was robbed of a hit on his Sac fly, Duda ran the Mets out of the inning as he was doubled off first.This stopped the rally the Mets had going only resulting in 1 run for the inning.
Daniel Murphy just keeps hitting, and hitting, and hitting.
Tejada got another hit and made another great defensive play tonight, he is really playing well for the team.
Grade for the Game: B-
By the Numbers:
- Chris Capuano went 6+ innings, let up 8 hits, 5 runs, 1 walk, and 2 strikeouts.
- Justin Turner hit a homer tonight, that is bigger than it sounds.
- Ruben Tejada had 2 hits and 2 RBIs.
- Beltran and Murphy each had 2 hits also.
- Beato let up 3 runs in one inning while Dale Thayer had a scoreless outing.
Chris Capuano pitched SO much better than his line. Once again he had a shutout through 6 innings and then just fell apart in the 7th.
Justin Turner’s homer ended a 10 game drought for the Mets today If you think about it they is at least 97 homerless innings.
Ruben Tejada has produced so well offensively for him, he has been great all year.
The Mets are just going through one blow up inning per game. It was the 7th and 8th tonight. Our bullpen just flat out sucks lately. They need to get their act back together.
Grade for the Game: C
- Chris Capuano went 6 great innings, gave up 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 1 walk, and 8 strikeouts.
- Justin Turner went 4 for 5 with an RBI.
- Reyes, Beltran, and Paulino had 2 hits each.
- Angel Pagan made his return tonight and had a 2 hit game.
- Izzy gave up a run in the 8th and K-Rod gave up 3 in the 9th.
- Ruben Tejada went 0 f0r 3 with 16 pitch walk.
Capuano was spectacular again tonight holding the Phillies to 1 earned run while striking out 8 men in just 6 innings. He only threw 77 pitches but was pinch hit for in the middle of a rally.
The at-bat by Tejada was amazing. 16 pitches and drawing the walk is just the type of pesky hitter that he needs to be. I am very happy with his production so far.
The Mets made some amazing diving catches in the outfield today, but also botched a few balls. One was an error by Beltran and one was a ball that Murphy should have caught at first, but it got by him.
Justin Turner is a great hitter so far. I don’t know how you can take both him and Tejada out of the lineup once Wright returns. That is going to be a tough choice to make.
Angel Pagan looked like the man from 2010 today getting 2 hits in 4 at-bats. He needs to be back to that form for this team to be succesful.
Grade for the Game: B
- Lucas Duda and Josh Thole drove in the runs tonight. Duda had an RBI double.
- Gee made his final start of the year tonight and went 6 innings and let up 4 runs (2 earned).
- Sean Green gave up 5 runs, (3 earned) in the 9th.
The Defense tonight was terrible, just terrible.
Nothing was really good about tonight, we were beat by a pitcher with a 5 ERA.
Grade for the Game: F
Over the 2 games that Ruben Tejada has played since his recall, he has not hit which is fine. His defense has been extraordinary so far. He has shown more range and better instincts than Luis Castillo. He can turn double plays and has a strong and accurate arm. All of these concepts point towards a defensive star in the making. I see a gold glove in his future which i hope, will be with the Mets.
What direction is Jerry taking with this club? In spring training he said that this was a team built on speed and defense. The defense has been great up until tonight when they gave up 4 errors that led to 4 unearned runs. However, the speed element has really bothered me. I have to start with the catalyst, Jose Reyes. Tonight he stole just his 2nd base in 29 games. Speed is not supposed to slump Jose—you’re fast, RUN! Also, correct me if I am wrong, but to my memory the Mets have not stolen 3rd once this entire year. Speed teams are supposed to be aggressive, right? I think this is Jerry and Chip Hale’s and it needs to change.
- Mike Pelfrey was good until he imploded. He went 4 2/3, 8 hits, 5 runs (3 earned), 2 walks, and 1 strikeout.
- Takahashi and Valdes combined to only give up 1 earned run, but 3 runs total.
- Luis Castillo had the best day out of anybody going 2 for 3.
- Beltran drove in a run with a ground out.
- Pagan had a sac fly for a run tonight.
- The Mets made 3 errors in one inning for the first time since 2009.
This team looked terrible and like they were not trying.
This was the worst i have ever seen the New York Mets play.
Something is going on with Big Pelf and it needs to be stopped.
I am speechless.
Grade for the Game: F