By the Numbers:
- Jon Niese started and went 7 2/3 innings letting up 3 hits, 1 run, 4 walks, and 8 strikeouts.
- Ruben Tejada had 2 hits including an RBI single.
- Angel Pagan had 2 hits, an RBI single and a Triple.
- Beltran and Turner had 2 hits each.
- Murphy and Pridie had a hit and RBI each.
- K-Rod got a 4 out save, striking out 2.
Jon Niese was great tonight tying his career high in strikeouts, working efficiently, and getting out of jams. His only problem was the 4 walks tonight and the RBI double by Fielder. He threw a career high in curveballs which was the key to his success tonight.
It’s kinda funny that Jose Reyes was the only hitless Met position player tonight.
The Mets are winning during this power outage because of key hitting, stealing bases, and their starting pitching. Entering the game since May 20th the Mets are 1st in batting average and 3rd in average with RISP. Homers mean nothing, runs do.
Ruben Tejada looks like a different hitter from last year, he is no longer overmatched at the plate and is showing that he could take the starting 2nd base spot when Wright and Ike return.
The Mets took 2 of 3 from the team with the best home record in baseball…now that is a statement.
Grade for the Game: B+